“Single blessedness”: The Bachelor Beans

“Single blessedness”: The Bachelor Beans

The bachelor Bean brothers, John and Josiah, seemingly lived simple and uneventful lives on their farm into old age and were buried on the small plot on the property. But a look at the local newspaper of the time has yielded the discovery of a short period of much excitement for the brothers at the hands of a single woman – something they had to put the kibosh on.

The article published in the Ellsworth American on March 25, 1875 provides a titillating look into their lives:

 

“Ellsworth Police Court. PETERS, JUDGE.

John S. Bean, Compl’t, vs. Deborah M. Bean. Complaint for larceny and breaking and entering dwelling-house.

This was a very unique case, and the trial of it unfolded curious family incidents. There lived in Sullivan two brother Beans, as like as two Peas. They dwelt together in unity – together they inherited the acres of the paternal Bean – together they toiled with honest industry upon the farm of their fathers – together they kept bachelors’ hall in the ancestral home. There they lived year after year in peaceful serenity, and rural quiet. Thus they passed through youth, early manhood, and middle age, until more than half a century had gone by.

They were both bachelors. One is a bachelor now. The other mourns that he is not. Like liberty to the Roman poet, matrimony, though late, came to him at last. He met his fate in the fair Deborah, who was comely in person and energetic in purpose. She was duly installed in the dwelling of the brothers, and cooked, baked, washed, swept, sewed, and other household labor did perform for them. The harmony was disturbed, however, and the brothers were also disturbed.

Presently the Benedict made over to the bachelor his share of the lands and goods, and withdrew from the domestic circle to be a wanderer upon the face of the earth. Why he withdrew will never perhaps be known. Squire Wiswell hinted that it was because of the Xantippean proclivities of Deborah. Squire Emery repudiated that and declared that it was only the natural cussedness of the unregenerate man. Judge Peters said it made no odds in this case, and so he didn’t care what he left for.

After the departure of Benedict, the bachelor gently intimated to the woman that she was working too hard and needed rest, and ought to visit her friends. She said she couldn’t think of it, – that she was anxious to keep the work right up. He then intimated that there was no need of her doing anything more for him, – that he could get along without her. She thought he couldn’t – that he needed her to take care of him. He then entreated her to leave, but she replied, “entreat me not to leave thee.” He then told her she must leave, but she said she wouldn’t – that there was her home to which her husband had brought her, and there she should stay. He said he would put her out. She said he couldn’t.

Here was a dilemma. He was too gallant to lay hands upon the woman – and too kind hearted to use violence. He resorted to strategy – watching his chance when she was out, he shut the doors against her. She returned, undid the fastenings, re-entered and resumed her old place. At length the man appealed to the law, and caused her to be arraigned for the offence of burglary in the day time, and this was the case before the Court.

The woman’s counsel argued that she thought she was right, and so the criminal intent was lacking. The man’s counsel insisted that as she had done it after being forbidden, and did it knowingly, after having been informed of the ownership, she must be held guilty. Judge Peters said that as the act was done in broad day, and the woman had claimed a right to stay there, he could not believe that she had any felonious intent in her mind, and accordingly discharged her. Thus the parties were left in stata quo ante bellum and the problem of how to get that woman out of that house was left unsolved by his Honor.

We learned however that the Respondent on returning, cut the Gordian knot by vacating the premises, and leaving Mr. Bean to vegetate alone in his single blessedness.”

 

 

With a story like that, what can we find from additional research? For starters, Deborah White was born July 28, 1841 in Harrington, daughter of William and Elmira (Colson) White. She lived with her family, working as a housekeeper, until the age of 22, when she married Daniel Look Ramsdell in late 1860. They had two daughters, Julia, born 1861, and Mabel, born 1864, and lived in Addison. Daniel worked variously as a carpenter, farmer, and seaman, and was lost at sea in 1867, making Deborah a widow. Deborah then moved with her two daughters into the home of one of Daniel’s older brothers, Sullivan Ramsdell, and worked as his housekeeper.

Sometime between 1871 and 1873, she married Josiah Bean of Sullivan. It appears that her two daughters stayed with their uncle Ramsdell in Addison during this time. Josiah was born in 1814, which would put him close to 60 years old at the time of marriage, with Deborah being in her early 30s. In 1874, Josiah Bean left town for several months and paid for a notice to run in the Ellsworth American that read: “Notice. All persons are hereby forbidden from harboring and trusting my wife, Deborah C. Bean, on my account, as ample provision has been made for her, by me. Josiah Bean.” It can be surmised that she was running up a tab in his absence.

He returned at some point, and the divorce of Josiah and Deborah is recorded in April 1877 at the courthouse in Ellsworth. The 1880 census has Josiah living back at home with his brother John, this time with 46-year-old Hannah Lindsey as housekeeper. Josiah died August 10, 1891, and in his will left Hannah $100 “and the bed she sleeps upon at my house with necessary bedding.” His estate was worth over $9500, including $233.66 in cash on hand and $442.50 in gold. With the comfortable items in the estate, it is not hard to understand why Deborah would not want to leave.

Deborah is recorded on the 1880 census as divorced and living in Milbridge with her daughters. She died there on June 23, 1898, aged 57 of heart disease and mitral regurgitation (heart murmur). Her stone reads “Deborah M. Wife of Josiah Bean, Former wife of Daniel L. Ramsdell.” It is interesting that despite the brief marriage and divorce, Josiah is mentioned on her stone.

The headstone of Deborah (White) Ramsdell Bean in Milbridge.

Back to the old Bean farm, there is the question of the stone in the family plot for Judith Ash. Who was she and how did she fit into the family? In 1870, Judith Ash was listed as the housekeeper for the Bean brothers, with her age given as 58. She passed away on July 4, 1871 and was buried on the property in the family cemetery. According to her MOCA file, she had been the daughter of Robert (1763-1835) and Abigail Rolf Ash (1767-1837). Being the second youngest of her siblings, Judith cared for her parents into their old age. After their death, she moved in with the Beans, living with and taking care of them like family for over 30 years. For one so dedicated to the care of the home and its bachelor brothers, it must have been appropriate for her to be buried at the place she called home.    

Excerpt from the Ellsworth American, March 25th, 1875.

1891 obituary of Josiah Bean.

The Cooper Shop of Sullivan Harbor

The Cooper Shop of Sullivan Harbor

The Cooperage, or Cooper Shop formerly stood on the rocks on the shore in Sullivan Harbor along what is now Harbor View Drive. This was the main road (often referred to in those days as the town or county road) through Sullivan before Route 1 was built and filled in. The shop was built in the early 1850s for Daniel Wilson, who moved his family first from Bradford to Franklin, where the 1850 industry census for the town recorded Wilson as having made 4,680 barrels by hand that year, using over 93,000 staves and 46,000 hoops to do so.

Within a couple of years, Wilson had moved his family to Sullivan and the cooperage was built. They lived next door in the former Capt. William Salter house which had been built in the 1830s and originally was located just up the hill before Salter moved it for the Wilsons (Salter then built a new house for his family in the old location). 

In 1863, Daniel Wilson purchased the parcel of land which held the shop and home. The 1863 deed also conveys “the points of rocks on which it now stands and also the stone wharf built expressly to accommodate said Cooper Shop.” Across the road was the childhood home of Sullivan author Alice Turner Curtis. According to Leila Johnson’s book Sullivan and Sorrento Since 1760, Curtis remembered the Cooper Shop as being most active in the 1870s. “…the “Cooper Shop” is the building toward the “Cove”, where Daniel made barrels in the 1870s, which were loaded onto schooners and sent to various ports.”

Daniel Wilson was born in 1816 in Bradford and married Lorinda there in 1844. They had 9 children:

  1. Stanislaus, b. 1845 in Bradford, m. Georgia Simpson
  2. Alvin T., b. 1847 in Bradford, m. Alice J. Wooster
  3. Harvey, b. 1850 in Franklin, died in childhood
  4. Augustus H., b. 1852 in Sullivan
  5. Arabelle C., b. 1854, m. Capt. Charles Allen in 1898
  6. Andalusia, b. 1856, died in childhood
  7. Charles M., b. 1858
  8. John H., b. 1862
  9. Charlene (Lena), b. 1866 in Sullivan.

 

Sullivan Harbor before the new Route 1 ran through it, with the Cooper Shop and house in center and remnants of the stone wharf running to the right.

The family all lived together in the same house through Daniel’s death at age 73 in 1889.

His son Alvin kept the cooperage going for a few more years. An excerpt from the Ellsworth American in 1893 reads: “Sullivan – Mr. Alvin Wilson has manufactured and sold over 100 fish barrels this spring.” As the need for handmade barrels declined along with the shipping industry, the Cooper Shop was left silent by 1900. Alvin had moved on to the stone and cement manufacturing business, and in 1898 his sister Belle had married with the old family house becoming the Allen home.

When Belle married Charles Allen, a steamboat captain, she had been running the Sullivan Harbor post office on her own for several years. He was a widower and single father of a 7-year-old daughter, Ruth. Belle raised her as her own, and after Charles’ death in 1919, Ruth continued to live at home while she worked as a teacher at the nearby schoolhouse. Not for long though, as on Sept. 7, 1920, she married Elwood Morton Wilbur, a civil engineer, and off they went to live at the American consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.

Belle remained in her old family home until the last years of her life, and she passed in 1941. Her estate sold the home to Winifred Zulich and Mr. and Mrs. Charles Berwind, early followers of Rudolph Steiner and anthroposophy.

Within a few short years, a new chapter for the home and Sullivan’s history would begin, when…

 

Sullivan’s first public library found its home in 2 rooms in the second floor of the house in 1948 when the owners donated its use – the first incarnation of Frenchman Bay Library. Rev. Margaret Henrichsen was inspired by this charitable act and got a committee together made up of 14 local women to guide the library forward. By 1952, the library occupied the entire second floor of the home and thrived with community support.

In the winter of 1956, an overheated chimney resulted in the old house burning, but many books were rescued and stored in the basement of the Grammar School. A newly planned Rec Center would become the future and current home of Frenchman Bay Library.

Also in the 1950s, the new state highway which would become US Route 1 was built across the head of the harbor on a small causeway, causing the interior portion to become known as the tidal pool, and the old main road to be called Harbor View Drive.

Years after the Wilson/Allen home burned and the Cooper Shop was dismantled, new property owners used brick and granite from the old foundation to build a patio at the edge of the Mill Brook.

Among the blocks in the foundation, they found a large piece matching the Paul Dudley Sargent monument, inscribed with his name and year of death, 1828. It’s unknown how it became a part of that foundation, though the reason would have been known by Captain William Salter who put it there in 1862.

Today, the Tidal Pool along Harbor View Drive fills and drains as ever, and though the two bustling buildings are long gone, the “points of rocks” on which the Cooper Shop was built are still in place, along with the remnants of the age-old stone wharf that once kept schooners steadily supplied with barrels to move goods to and from ports far away and long ago.

Side view from west of the Cooper Shop and the Wilson/Allen house on Sullivan Harbor, before Route 1 filled in the area.

Building Sorrento: 1911 – 1971

Building Sorrento: 1911 – 1971

It’s impossible to think of buildings in Sorrento without thinking about Ed and Clif Hale. Between 1911 and 1971, two generations of Hales built the majority of the summer homes seen in Sorrento today.

Charles Edgar “Ed” Hale was born and raised in Brooksville and came to Sorrento in 1911. He began working for the Chafee family. Over the following 38 years, Ed Hale built over 25 houses, including the new Sorrento Grammar School (now the Community Building), and the Sumner Memorial High School gymnasium with Eddy Bragdon.

In 1949, Ed retired and turned the business over to his nephew Clifton K. Hale. Clif built at least 25 more houses, in addition to finishing the house on Doane’s Point for Mrs. Hughson that his uncle had started. Clif’s last house was an A-frame on Treasure Island for Carl and Terry Patten in 1971. Clif’s wife, Martha, supported the business as secretary and bookkeeper.

“They were an important part of that core of Sorrento, the people and the houses,” wrote Clif’s daughter, Thelma Hale White, in 2001. “As people, they took pride in their membership and involvement in the community; and their houses stand as reminders of their pride in workmanship.”

The compiled lists of houses built by Ed and Clif Hale are the work of Sturgis Haskins. Additional resources include “Torna a Sorrento, 1835 – 1973” by Lawrence Lewis and “Sorrento: A Well-Kept Secret” by Catherine O’Clair Herson.

Ed Hale built this Colonial Revival for Gifford Ewing in 1929. 

The Sorrento Grammar School, now the Community Center, was built by Ed Hale after the old High Head school burned in 1941.

This house was built for Mildred Hughson by Ed Hale, Clif Hale, Harold Kelly, L.A. Spratt, Donald G. Perry, and M.A. McKenzie. They broke ground in August 1946.